Zurich NA Underwriting Associate, Vancouver in Vancouver, British Columbia
Underwriting Associate, Vancouver
Responsible for evaluating exposures/controls, evaluating loss history, assessing financial condition, for basic to moderately complex business.
• Bachelors Degree and No prior experience required in the Administrative or Customer Service or Data Entry or Financial Services or Risk Management area
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 2 or more years of experience in the Administrative or Customer Service or Data Entry or Financial Services or Risk Management area
• Some travel may be required
• Underwriting/underwriting operations, claims, risk management or premium audit experience
• Experience with data collection and analysis
• Excellent customer service orientation and communication skills
• In-depth knowledge of processing, rating and policy issuance systems
• Detail oriented
• Organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
• Mastery of processing, rating and policy issuance systems
• With core knowledge of underwriting processes, is conversant and may work on multiple lines of business with some variances and with analysis guided by multiple tools and references.
• Collaborates with underwriters in the areas of procedures, policy endorsements and policy content.
• Computes premiums for policies, selects appropriate declarations, coverage forms, national/local forms, and optional endorsements to complete a policy.
• Anticipates the needs of the Underwriter and the customer based on the policy submitted.
• Provides account servicing support (e.g. subsequent transactions including endorsements, cancellations, reinstatement & adjustments, billing & collections, contract services and Claims & Risk Engineering) as directed by the Underwriter or Underwriting Support Manager.
• Supports assigned Underwriters with broker/customer interactions. Underwriting authority is not granted.
• Responsible for the new business, renewals and endorsements process for moderately complex business.
• Reviews, appraises and recommends submissions for acceptance or declination within established appetite.
• Evaluates and summarizes exposures and controls both at the account level and at the Line Of Business level.
• Evaluates loss potential due to catastrophe, severity, and/or frequency.
• Assesses financial condition and summarizes financials.
• Applies rating knowledge to provide direction to Rating Services.
• Utilizes accumulated account analysis to provide Underwriting with data required for pricing decisions (e.g. debits/credits, risk characteristics).
• Supports Underwriting with broker/customer interactions with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
• Provides account servicing support (e.g. subsequent transactions including endorsements, cancellations, reinstatement & adjustments, billing & collections, contract services and Claims & Risk Engineering).
• May assist in training new team members.
• Identifies/escalates issues and participates in determining resolution with support of others.
• May support special projects as a subject matter expert.
• Able to independently interact with brokers and customers in certain instances.
Add. Job Functions:
• Service the needs of customers.
• Support others who maintain relationships with customers.
• Respond to inquiries quickly and completely, provide status updates.
• Recognize and respond to or refer opportunities.
• Identify and resolve problems by referring to policies, procedures, standards.
• Continually improve unit performance by analyzing and recommending enhancements to technical procedures.
Develop & Grow
Puts Customers First
Technical Competency 1
Technical Competency 2
Provide Clear Direction
Make it Happen
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
EOE Disability / Veterans