Zurich NA Senior Underwriter, Middle Markets - Ontario Region in Toronto, Ontario
Senior Underwriter, Middle Markets - Ontario Region
Zurich Canada’s Middle Market business is growing!
Are you looking for a caring, collaborative, values-driven workplace with inspiring teammates and leaders? Do you have the ambition and desire to be the best and thrive at the most impactful global insurance provider in the world? Look no further than Zurich Canada.
If you have experience in commercial lines property casualty underwriting and are looking for a new challenge, we would love to hear from you.
Zurich Canada is currently looking for a Senior Underwriter in Middle Markets.
Reporting to the Vice President, Middle Markets, Ontario Region you will be responsible for creating strong broker relationships with the aim to provide meaningful customer service and strong commercial insurance solutions. Through development of strong broker relationships, you will thoughtfully underwrite new and renewal business while actively engaging in the marketplace to enhance the Zurich Canada brand. You will shape your portfolio of accounts within the broader Middle Market strategy as you utilize The Zurich Way of Underwriting, working within your delegated authority to ensure a high level of accountability and equally high level of service to customers.
This is a unique opportunity to build your knowledge and experience for the future in a supportive environment where your voice matters
What you will do
• Serving as an advocate of Middle Market value proposition with a focus on improving the customer experience by understanding our customer’s risks and offering the best end to end solution for their insurance needs.
• Developing and nurturing broker networks related to mid market customer with focus on target industries as outlined in business strategy
• Making broker calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose focused on promoting our products and services to increase penetration
• Identify opportunities through local relationships, proactively seeking renewal and new account opportunities adding to the growth and profitability of our Middle Market portfolio
• Using a disciplined approach to exposure evaluation, risk assessment and pricing:
• Qualifying accounts that align with business strategy and the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
• Measuring exposure and analyzing opportunities to provide appropriate coverage per organization´s risk and compliance processes.
• Apply rating tools and methodologies to deliver to customers and offer suggestions for improvements.
• Using risk insights and analytical tools to drive informed decisions at point of sale.
• Working within limits and delegated authorities, in conjunction with adherence to underwriting rules and guidelines, compliance protocols and insurance regulations
• Apply best practices and provide insights to continuously develop and improve underwriting systems and process
• Up-selling additional coverages associated with the Middle Market product suite (eg Z-Guard) for most comprehensive package solution
• Cross-selling other lines of business to increase product density with the account for most comprehensive Zurich solution
• Understanding customer needs, challenges and market dynamics to initiate middle market product solutions for development
• Demonstrating key aspects of portfolio management in consideration of performance metrics, data and insights with aim to improve portfolio, driving diversified growth
• Ensuring strong partnership with UAs within the Underwriting Services team to ensure proactive engagement with brokers and best-in-industry customer service focused on timeliness and accuracy of quotes, policy issuance and premium booking.
• Mentorship of less experienced underwriters and supporting training initiatives, as required
• Honing individual skill set and product knowledge, demonstrating senior underwriting level expertise, to become a trusted advisor to middle market brokers and customers
Job Qualifications - What you bring to the table
High School Diploma or Equivalent and 4 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in Claims
• Knowledge of lines of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
• Knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment
• Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, pricing and guideline requirements
• Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience working in a team environment
• Bachelors’ Degree with 4 or more years’ experience in the commercial P and C underwriting area
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Microsoft Office skills
• At Zurich, we are proud of our culture. We are passionate about Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Belonging (DEIB). We want you to bring your whole self to work, and we want our employees to be reflective of the communities in which we live and work. Our DIEB initiatives are creating an environment where everyone feels welcome.
• We have a collaborative culture where diversity of thought is valued. We value your input and strive to give our employees the tools they need to make an impact.
• We care about our employees’ well-being and offer a comprehensive health/benefits plan with varying levels of coverage to suit your specific needs and a competitive total compensation package.
• We understand how important it is to rest, recharge and do the things you love. At Zurich, all employees receive a minimum of four weeks of vacation per year to do just that.
• We also understand that employees require time off for personal reasons. Maybe you have an appointment during a workday, a cultural or religious holiday you would like to observe, or you need time off to focus on your mental health. Zurich employees receive four personal days per year to be used at their discretion.
• We are committed to continuous improvement, and offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
• We care about our communities. Our communities are where our customers, people, and shareholders live and work. While we can be proud of the contribution to society Zurich makes through our core business of insurance, we must also give back to our communities through our talent, time and resources.
• We have won numerous awards for our workplace culture. We are proud to be one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and to have received Insurance Business Canada’s 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award.
Make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported. Love what you do. Work for us.
Zurich Canada is part of the Zurich Insurance Group, a multi-line insurer with approximately 55,000 employees worldwide serving customers in global and local markets. Zurich Canada has been a leading insurance provider serving mid-sized and large companies, including multinational corporations, in the Canadian commercial market for 100 years. With over 500 employees in offices across the country, Zurich offers the global strength of a top insurance provider combined with in-depth knowledge of industries and local markets. Zurich Canada aspires to be risk management professionals’ first choice as their premier partner to help meet the risk challenges of today and tomorrow. Read more at www.zurichcanada.com.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Only applicable for Canada: For Zurich Canada's commitment to diversity and accessibility pleaseclick here (https://www.zurichcanada.com/en-ca/about-zurich/accessibility) .If you would prefer to not receive future electronic messages from Zurich Insurance Company Ltd's recruitment management system, please email your request to have your job profile deleted from the system by clickinghere (email@example.com) . Zurich Insurance Company Ltd 100 King St., W., Suite 5500, Toronto, ON, M5X 1C9. www.zurichcanada.com
EOE Disability / Veterans